Wednesday, September 9, 2009

My Heroes

In a recent interview I was asked who my childhood hero was. I sat silent staring into the interviewers blank eyes. I racked my brain for the person that was "My hero." My parents? No, sure they were smart, sure they were inspiring, sure they were the people who raised me; but they were not my heroes. Gandhi was next to enter my mind. One of the greatest men of all time in my opinion. He lead people to independence, taught people lessons of patience and showed people change. Despite how inspiring he is to me though, he was not the hero I was searching for. A few more people popped up; family, friends, leaders and even some comic book heroes; but to no avail could I find that "One." Finally, after what seemed like a long pause, it hit me! Everyone I had thought of had something in common. These people had inspired me and taught me and made me want to be a better person! I quickly blurted out "Everyone!" then with a calm smile I explained my theory. There was no certain someone who had totally inspired me. I had pulled a quality, that I now had as a part of myself, from each and every single person I had met. I had many heroes, who over the many years had made me well, me. I lost the interview but I was very happy. Now, thinking back, I see that everyone is a hero to everyone else. We all learn different things from one another; whether they be to better ourselves or just know what we don't wish to be like, we learn from each other. I am a hero and so are you! This I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment