Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Nothing but Silence

As I walked into my beloved husband's hospital room my eyes filled with solitary tears. They fell to the floor as I walked up to his metal-framed hospital bed to touch him for the last time. The room was just as blank and gloomy as my thoughts. It held depressed atmosphere that tumbled around my dying husband's body. I looked into his crippled eyes and my heart melted just like it did the day we got married. My tears started to soar down my face and I grabbed a few Kleenexes to wipe them away. My legs were trembling and my heart was breaking, so I sat down in the cushioned hardback chair to recap my sorrowful thoughts. I caught a glimpse of Wheel-A-Fortune on the television, that was supported in the air over the bed. As I was sitting, I thought about the exquisite pastel painting of cows and the happy surroundings that touched the picture. It did nothing but bring tears to my blood shot eyes. I was proud of my seventy-six year old husband though. He was a firefighter for fourty-five years and saved many people. We had three beautiful children that completed our life. Now my husband of fifty years was dying of old age and I will soon be left alone. The feeling of losing a loved one is painful. I gathered up the tissues and throught them away in the empty garbage can. I took a drink of water from the water glass and ate an apple from the untouched bowl of fruit sitting on the night stand. My heart was heavy and my appearance was doleful. I walked over to my husband and looked him in the eyes. My heart swelled up with tears when he told me that he loved me, and then he was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment