Thursday, August 20, 2009

Passing Times, Changing People

Time can really change a person, and it can also change a small town. Growing up in a little place called Cuthbert, Georgia, where humidity has dominion and there's not a lot to, i have personally seen my hometown change throughout the years.

When i was a kid, you would have seen a place called Big B's, which was a drugstore. My mama used to take me there in her 1988 black Firebird to get me medicine if i ever got sick. If you kept on driving through town and went around the "square" (which is actually a circle), you would see Maddox's, a clothing store, and a theater you could go to on Friday and Saturday nights. Riding through downtown Cuthbert, you could see a big sign with a fox on it, which marked the spot for Fox's Pizza place, and they were known for their extremely greasy pizza (which kind of makes me sick to my stomach, now that i think about it...). Something else you would see is Movie Gallery, and that place was always bustling with people everyday. But sadly, none of these places can be seen anymore... they exist only in my memories.

Cuthbert has many new places now, but there are also places that hasn't changed. Some of the places that are new now is Girly Girl's and the French Market, which are boutique places and are very appealing to the eye when you walk inside. You see lots of little trinkets, and lots of different styles of purses that you can get monogrammed if you choose to do so. If you wanted to get something to eat now, you could go the Dawg House. It's the best place to get hotdogs and milkshakes, and you can get some of their sweet tea. It's extremely sweet, and to some people, it just keeps you coming back for more. My dad sends me there all the time to get our whole family some sweet tea, we like it so much. But not only is the food and drinks good, but the inside has quite a bit of charm on its own. The central idea of the whole restaurant is the football team, the Georgia Bulldogs. As soon as you walk inside, your eyes automatically see all of the photographs of UGA, the bulldog, and many others of Sanford Stadium.

One of the restaurants I probably remember most is Carter's Chicken. I'm not very fond of it at all because I'm not a huge fan of friend chicken. But to me, it stands out in my memories because I remember back a few years ago, Carter's was pretty much just a counter attached to a building, and you ordered your food from outside of the counter. If you ordered Carter's during the summertime, your wait could get rather hot... but now, it's in a bigger and better building with air conditioner, and has a big orange sign. If you miss it, then maybe you need to invest in some glasses, because it's pretty hard to NOT see it.

So my hometown of Cuthbert has changed a lot, and as for me, I don't really mind at all. Change is good. This place is my roots; it's where i learned to ride a bike, drive a car, and it's also where I played in my first band, which eventually broke up. But no matter how much it changes, it's still the little place I know and embrace as my home. And nothing will ever change that. Time passes, people move, like a river's flow, it never ends...

3 comments:

  1. Samantha- I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the last paragraph of this: "like a river's flow, it never ends..."

    You are a gifted writer; keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that comment was from Mrs. Burgess, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete