Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A Precious Moment

Closing my hand around the door handle, I excitedly open the door. As my eyes search the room, I see the love of my life, my beautiful wife, laying on her metal-framed hospital bed. With a glowing smile on her face and her eyes shining, I walk over to her, trying my hardest to control myself, trying my hardest to keep calm, trying my hardest not to run towards her like a maniac. I take my seat in the hard back chair that was provided for me, and fully understood what they meant when they said it was "a hard-back chair". But it was okay, because I was with the woman who bore my first child, the woman I wanted to spend the rest of my life with, the woman who was my love at first sight. I looked into her soft eyes that were now misted with tears of joy, and I reached over on the nightstand that consisted of a glass of water, a water pitcher, some fruit that she had eaten for dinner earlier at about 7, and a small alarm clock that now read 7:30 p.m., to grab her some Kleenex to wipe away her tears. Once she was through, I tossed the tissues away in a small trashcan that was nearby her bed. We embraced, ignoring the television conversation going on in the background, ignoring everything else that was going on around us, ignoring the doctor that had just walked in to check on my wife. I never fully realized how much she really meant to me until I was completely away from her for a long period of time. Like they say, you never know what you've got til it's gone. She looked away from me for a moment to look out of the large window that was off to the left of the hospital bed. The sun was slowly beginning to set, with streaks of red, orange, pink, and purple making a collage of colors in the sky. The trees swayed in harmony to the rhythm of the breeze that was blowing outside, causing perfect weather. The blue mountains, in all of their majestic beauty, were quite a sight to see if you were a tourist or even if you've seen this before. After she is through gazing out of the window, she looks over towards the pastel painting of cows, standing around in a grassy field, with the sun and mountains in the background. I think she enjoyed looking at the pastel because it reminded her of our home, where we have lived for a little while now. But whatever the reason she enjoyed looking at the pastel, it could never compare to how much joy was created in me when I got to see her and our child for the first time, it could never compare to the happiness that we would have forever on end, and it could never compare to the precious moments that we would make and remember with our child for the rest of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment